Monday, March 12, 2012

Weekly Meal Plan {3/12-3/18}

Happy Monday everyone!  Here is our meal plan for the week ahead:



Monday: 
Pork Chops - We get these from Costco for a great price and freeze most of them right away. 
  • Rub each side of chop with generous salt and pepper.
  • Saute in heated pan at medium-high heat in olive oil for a few minutes on each side until brown.
  • Transfer to an oven preheated to 375.  Bake for 10-12 more minutes or until done. 
Sauerkraut - I am going to make my own with a great attachment piece for my Kitchen Aid mixer that my in-laws gave me for Christmas, but you can buy already made sauerkraut for a pretty cheap price to save time.

Potatoes - Mashed or baked, your choice.  (we haven't decided yet!)

Tuesday:
Pork and Baked Beans in Crockpot (note: I will significantly cut back the number of pork chops from what this recipe calls for - probably to 2-3 chops, halved or quartered)

Spinach Salad with walnuts, craisins, and shredded mozzarella


Wednesday:
Leftovers from yesterday's meal


Thursday:
Rosti - A simple Swiss potato dish. I use a recipe from Simply in Season, but this recipe is very similar and offers some helpful tips for perfecting the art of making Rosti. (note: I will use cheddar cheese rather than gruyere as this recipe recommends, simply because it is cheaper.)

Spinach Salad with bacon crumbles, vinaigrette, and hard-boiled egg slices


Friday:
OUT to eat!


Saturday:
Chili in the crockpot
Cornbread from Simply in Season (note: sometimes I like to add in creamed corn for a more creamy, sweeter alternative)


Sunday:
Leftover chili
Spinach salad
Freezer raiding for dinner (to each his/her own!)


If you haven't already, I would encourage you to check out (and consider purchasing) the Simply in Season cookbook.  It is full of many useful recipes, organized by season and featuring produce that is fresh in that season.  The recipes are simple and can be creatively adapted to your liking (often they add ideas for changing them up a bit).  It is my go-to cookbook on days that I don't know what to do with the produce I have around!

Enjoy your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment